What is Pediatric Endocrinology?
Our pediatric endocrinology department specializes in diagnosing and treating hormone imbalances and other problems with your child’s endocrine glands. Endocrine glands include the thyroid, parathyroid, pancreas, ovaries or testicles, hypothalamus, pituitary, and adrenal glands. Pediatric endocrinologists understand how growth and development influence endocrine problems. Our pediatric endocrinologists specialize in managing the unique health needs of children and teens with endocrine or glandular conditions, such as diabetes, growth disorders, and reproductive system problems.
What does a Pediatric Endocrinologist do?
The glands of the endocrine system produce hormones, which are chemical substances that regulate many important body functions. A Pediatric endocrinologist specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of children with diseases of the endocrine system, such as diabetes, growth or pubertal disorders and so can thoroughly assess and offer treatments necessary for your child.
When should you see a Pediatric Endocrinologist?
If there is a concern about your child’s growth, early or delayed puberty, diabetes, rapid weight gain, obesity or other disorders related to the hormones.
What tests will a Pediatric Endocrinologist do?
The tests are specific and tailored to the patient complaint. They include blood tests, hormone stimulations tests, ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
Healthy Lifestyle and weight management
Obesity in children has been rising over the years. Children with obesity are at increased risk of diabetes, cardiovascular disease, fatty liver, PCOS and other complications Our goal is to guide them towards a healthy lifestyle and reduce their risk of the complications.
Our Approach to Care
We assess not only your child’s weight, but overall health, dietary behaviors, physical activity and personal preferences so we can tailor a plan of care with the best chance of helping them achieve a healthy weight. We have a team consisting of a pediatric endocrinologist who is trained in obesity medicine and a nutritionist who will work with you and your child to design a personalized plan that could include lifestyle modification and weight loss medications appropriate to your child.
What Pediatric Endocrinology Services Do We Offer?
Endocrinology Consultant’s pediatric endocrinology department provides specialized, multi-disciplinary care to children and adolescents with pediatric endocrine disorders. Our programs and services include:
- Pediatric Growth Disorders
- Puberty Disorders
- Obesity and Insulin Resistance
- Low Bone Mass
- Pediatric Diabetes
- Comprehensive Center for Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH)
- Kids and Teens Healthy Weight Program
What Should You Expect on Your First Pediatric Endocrinology Visit
The first visit for your child’s pediatric endocrinology visit is one of these three steps:
- Initial Assessment – We take a comprehensive patient history and physical exam. We then ask both the parents and child about the patient’s chief complaint and symptoms. forming a differential diagnosis, and ordering of diagnostic tests
- Diagnostic Testing – If testing is needed, we perform testing to help with diagnosis. Once the testing has been completed we will interpret and then communicate the test results
- Consultation, Treatment & Follow-Up – Once you’re consulted on the results, we will create a treatment plan specific to the patient, then follow up to determine if the treatment is performing well of if it needs to be adjusted.